5 Things You Can Mod Podge with Napkins

Did you know that you could change your sandals or your lamp easily with napkins? Well, you can! All you need is some paper napkins, mod podge (in a variety of finishes) and paint brushes. Below are some ideas for some crazy and easy mod podge redos. The floral napkins I used are great because they are a busy design that is perfect for piecing together. I like the textured look some wrinkles on the project give. If you are OCD, mod podge may not be for you! 

If you like this page or article, you can buy me a coffee!

1. Wood Letters or Numbers
Wood numbers or letters look great with a mod podged pattern! Here's how I did it:
I picked up some patriotic napkins at Hobby Lobby that were on sale. I painted the whole number in a blue acrylic then let it dry. To start, peel the white backing off of the napkin. Cut your napkin into a manageable piece. I did this outside so it was blowing all over the place in the wind. Using a matte mod podge, paint a section that the napkin will cover. Place the napkin on the number, lining the blue stars up in the top left corner. Smooth it on the letter. Cut additional pieces of strips that will cover the rest of the number. Coat with the mod podge then stick on and smooth out. Paint a layer of mod podge over the whole number. Now that the edges are damp, gently tear the overhang off. I wasn't too worried about some small tears since I painted the base blue. Add another coat over the top. Once it was dry, I lightly sanded the edges to get ride of the excess. Tie a bow of twine around the middle.


2. Sandals
How fun are these?! The brown straps were dirty and stained and I wanted them to have a pop of fun color. This is perfect and like I said, busy patterns are great for tearing and piecing together without noticing seams. For this one, I used outdoor finish mod podge. You'll have to peel the white layer off the napkin for this too. First, put a generous coat of mod podge on the strap, smooth a piece of napkin over. Trim so there is about half an inch of excess napkin. Cover the edges and about a quarter of an inch on the back of the strap and wrap the piece of napkin over to secure it. Repeat for each strap. Coat with a generous layer of mod podge. Outdoor mod podge is tacky compared to regular matte finish mod podge. It will take a while to dry but they will be fine to wear. You can add another coat to the sandals down the road.


3. Wooden Spoons
This one is a super easy way to make a customized gift. I bought a pack of 5 wooden spoons at the dollar store. You could do a whole set as a gift or to jazz up your kitchen utensils. I used outdoor mod podge for this too. Cut a rectangle however wide you'd like the design on the handle. Paint the spoon with the mod podge then place the small piece of napkin (only the pattern piece - not the white. You'll have to peel it.) Smooth the napkin out then paint it with the mod podge. I waited a bit then added another coat. It's okay, it will be tacky. That will eventually go away. Here's the patriotic napkin mod podge I did on a whole spoon that will only be used for decoration. I did the same thing, only I covered the whole thing.


4. Seashell Ring Holders
Make a customized ring holder. The dog version is made with tissue paper but still adorable! Paint mod podge on a shell,put a piece of napkin (only the patter piece - not the white. You'll have to peel it.) Smooth out the napkin and paint the whole thing with mod podge. Once the edges are damp, you should be able to carefully tear the excess of the edge/wrap it over the edges. Once the mod podge dries, use a metallic gold or silver paint pen to paint over the edges.



5. Lamp
Turn a lamp into a funky masterpiece with napkins! For the lamp, I used matte finish mod podge because I didn't want any sheen. I don't mind the wrinkles on the lamp either. I really like the texture. Peel the white pieces off the the patterned part of the napkin. Tear into manageable pieces. The busy pattern will blend the seams. Paint part of the lamp with the mod podge, smooth the napkin over it. Keep piecing and overlapping the pieces until the whole lamp is covered. Once complete, coat the whole lamp in mod podge focusing on the seams so they aren't sticking up. She's a beauty!



Comments

  1. I love the way you used mod podge & I will try some of your tricks. Thanks for sharing with us & love your pictures of the project it made it look easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how versatile mod podge is!

      Delete
  2. Are the wooden spoons safe to use after it drys and will it last against heat of cooking and water from washing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a dishwasher safe mod podge. Since it’s just on the handle, it doesn’t touch food and is handwashed okay.

      Delete
  3. Love what you did to your sandals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment