5 Patriotic Crafts

I just posted 5 great kids patriotic crafts and activities and of course I had to share some for older kids or adults!

1. Wooden Patriotic Number 4
I got this wooden number on clearance at Hobby Lobby but you could definitely do a letter for the initial of your last name. Hang it on your door or decorate the inside of your home. I picked up some patriotic napkins at Hobby Lobby that were on sale. I painted the whole number in a blue acrylic then let it dry. To start, peel the white backing off of the napkin. Cut your napkin into a manageable piece. I did this outside so it was blowing all over the place in the wind. Using a matte mod podge, paint a section that the napkin will cover. Place the napkin on the number, lining the blue stars up in the top left corner. Smooth it on the letter. Cut additional pieces of strips that will cover the rest of the number. Coat with the mod podge then stick on and smooth out. Paint a layer of mod podge over the whole number. Now that the edges are damp, gently tear the overhang off. I wasn't too worried about some small tears since I painted the base blue. Add another coat over the top. Once it was dry, I lightly sanded the edges to get ride of the excess. Tie a bow of twine around the middle.




2. Patriotic Wooden Spoon
I got a pack of wooden spoons at the dollar store and did a kids craft version of the patriotic spoon. Using the same technique above with the flag napkins, I mod podged the napkin onto the spoon. I used an outdoor mod podge because I was thinking about sticking it in a planter outside. I sealed it twice.



3. Wooden Fireworks
This is another project that could be an easy kids version or turned into an adult version. Cut 1x1 wood into varying lengths for your fireworks. I used masking tape on one to make red and white stripes, painted one a solid color and made one blue with white stars. I used a cricut to cut the template for the white stars but you could freehand or use a stencil. Once dry, twist wire around a pen or paintbrush then stick it in the top. Tie with twine and you have a could holiday decoration.



4. Large Picket Fence Flag
This is my absolute favorite and we keep it up all year round. It is made from a scrap piece of wooden picket fence so if you have some, you're in luck! Often you see free panels on the side of the road or at the dump. You could always buy a panel if you needed to. It would still be cheaper than buying one of these already made. We cut ours so it was about 3 feet by 4 feet. We used 7 panels. Tape off a square in the top left corner and paint it blue (we used 3 panels) Using a star stencil, stencil white stars at random unless you want to be authentic and work out how to place 50 of them! Then alternate the rest with red and white paint, starting with red at the top. Let it dry. I always put my paint on thin for a rustic look then I sand it by hand using a sanding block. I focus my distressing on the edges and go over the whole thing lightly. Get all of the dust off by using a rag. We have a matte outdoor sealer that we use so it doesn't create any type of sheen. Put a few coats on, following the directions. Some you have to lightly sand in between coats. Now you have a beautiful and huge flag decoration. Ours is screwed to our fence with wood screws and we love it!



5. Small Picket fence flag
For this smaller version of the picket fence flag. You'll need only 3 picket panels. You can pick these up at your local hardware store unless you happen to have some old ones hanging out. I prefer the old gray toned ones to paint on for a more rustic look. I used to small scrap pieces of wood on the back to hold the panels together. You are going to basically do the same as above only on a smaller scale. Tape off the top left corner and paint it blue. Add your white stars using a stencil or freehand them. Paint the top and bottom pickets red and the middle white. Now you have a cute little picket flag. Ours was old so it had some holes where the nails were so I strung rusty wire through to add some character.

Which one are you excited to try? Drop a comment and let me know!

Comments