DIY Mini Objects for Speech Therapy

I love the mini objects to target speech sounds. It gives the kids something to hold and explore, rather than a flash card. I looked into sets and WOW! They are expensive. Most kits were $100 for 50-75 items. No, thank you. I wanted to use the plastic storage case from Michaels but even that was expensive. 

I put an alert out to my friends on Facebook to save me the little items from the bottom of their toy bins and started stealing  collecting items from my son, craft room and around the house. 

I knew I had to figure out storage so I got three packs of snap and lock containers from Dollartree for $1 each and then a colored case I could put each set of three in from Dollartree for $1 each. That’s a total of $6! 

I knew I wanted to combine some speech sounds so I didn’t need more than 9 containers. I combined /p/ and /b/, /m/ and /n/, /t/ and /d/, /k/ and /g/, /f/ and /v/, /s/ and /z/, /ch, th, sh and j/, /r/ and r-blends and /l/ and l-blends. 



Using the containers, I started separating the items, if I had multiples I would put one in each box for the sounds in the word. 



Items I used:

Erasers

Stickers

Scrapbooking embellishments

Scrabble tiles

Small toys

Feathers (/th, r, f/)

And other random items: ring, Bobby pin, legos etc.





Using my cricut, I cut out labels using a scrap of teal vinyl then put them on the containers. The large containers stack nicely. 



I can’t wait to use them in the fall! And I can add to them as I come across additional objects. 


Comments